Pages

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Be careful of the strings you cut...

I had the opportunity to visit some people last night that were very important to me in the past.  The downside is that it was family members (a brother and the brothers mom) of someone that I was once involved with.  The funny part about it is that I wasn't at all concerned that I would run into my ex.  At one point, the mother made a comment that I "met the wrong brother."  This made me laugh, a lot.  Mostly because it was true!

On the way home I thought a lot about how when you get involved with someone, you aren't just getting involved with them.  New relationships are formed with that persons friends and family.  If the relationship doesn't work you then have to decide whether you continue the relationships you've gained.  Sometimes it isn't possible but last night reminded me that I don't necessarily believe that you can't continue the other relationships.  I have always been treated well by these people and I have always treated them like family.  I know that they wouldn't put me in a bad position.  They have voiced to me several times how proud they are that I have cut that relationship out of my life.  Like mom said last night, I met the wrong brother.  When it was said we both kind of laughed it off but we knew she was right.  He's been a really good friend to me over the years and understands the stuggles I had with his brother.  Even though we don't talk often, we have special friendship.  When we see each other its like there was no absence. 

I know that I can not be involved with this part of the family on a daily basis but I know the value that these people hold in my life.  They didn't have anything to do with the demise of that relationship- should my relationship with them be faulted? I certainly hope not because I value the fun that I have with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment