Pages

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Done, Done, Done and.... Done....

I'm not a list person.  Wait, I need to rephrase that.  I make lists all the time.  When I take vacations, I make lists of things to pack.  When I need to grocery shop, I make a list.  When someone in my little family needs things, I make lists.  I also make lists of things that need to be done around the house.  The problem is that I always end up throwing the list away having not followed it.  I guess I believe that just because I made the list- I should feel a sense of accomplishment.

Last night as Janis and I were watching TV I noticed that every once in a while she would quickly write something down.  I asked her what she was doing and she said "making my to-do list for the next couple days."  Of course I chuckled at her.  By the end of the night I was telling her things to write down.

This morning before getting out of bed I unconsciously reached over and picked up Luca's pictures I received from the hospital a couple days ago.  Doing this reminded Janis that she picked up a small album the other day for me to put his pictures in.  When I saw the photo album I knew that I couldn't just put it to the side.  I sat in bed drinking my coffee and put the album together.  When I was finished, I had a genuine feeling of accomplishment.  So of course I couldn't stop there.

The two of us were rapid balls of fury running through the house... cleaning, organizing, grocery shopping, donating clothes and I even cleaned out the pantry and fridge of all the things we will no longer be able to eat and drink.

The list we made last night hasn't been completed but there's a reason for that.  Most of what we did today wasn't actually on the list.  Tomorrow is another day.  Now that we've had the opportunity to sit down and reflect on what got done- we're a proud couple of people.  Moral of the story:  No matter what it is in your life that needs attention and love, its important to get it done.  The way your soul feels when its taken care of is nothing short of magnificent.

Now if I could just find the Ibuprofen 800 to take away the pain in my body....

No comments:

Post a Comment